The e-North Carolina Authority (e-NC), in partnership with the Strategic Networks Group, recently released a survey of the state's broadband utilization, which revealed a strong link between broadband adoption and business growth.
The survey shows that broadband has become integral to North Carolina residents, specifically business owners. Broadband connections fueled small business growth and remain central to keeping businesses competitive in the global marketplace. According to the report:
- 18% of new jobs were created as a direct result of broadband Internet and the figure jumps to 28% for small businesses.
- 54% of all businesses said they would not be in business without broadband.
- 85% of home-based businesses reported that broadband was essential to their business.
- 65% of broadband households report using it to supplement their income.
- Almost half (45%) of North Carolina's broadband households run a business from their home or plan to do so in the next 12 months.
With economic opportunity and broadband so closely aligned, e-NC — a Speed Matters partner — will continue to work on the challenge of getting broadband to all residents of the state. By training small business owner to harness the Internet more efficiently, the state hopes to further increase adoption figures.